Whether you are an athlete or a very active person, you might also get some kinds of physical pain caused by unavoidable circumstances at any time in your personal life.
These kinds of pain caused by various reasons. Well, I am not for discussing those reasons here since it’s very time to consume and probably unnecessary.
I hope you already choose which heating pad you should buy. You must choose the best heating pad for getting rid of your body pain shortly.
You also need some precautions and have to keep in mind about some heating pad safety tips as well as points for better treatment, quick positive result and getting the ultimate benefits from a heating pad.
Whether you are using a heating pad for back pain or any kind of pain on your body, you should follow some rules for your own good. Here are some of the heating pad safety tips you should follow as well as have to avoid:
1. Use the heating pad for short period of time
This is one of the best rules you always should follow. I personally know some people who use a heating pad a long time in a single session, might end up degrading their body skin and it can also cause some adverse effects on the body unless you are using a microwavable heating pad.
It’s better and wise to use it for 15-20 minutes at a time. You can repeat it 3-4 times in a day, not more than that.
2. Do not overheat the heating pad
You should not overheat your pad which can cause skin and body problems. Overheat heating pad may burn your skin significantly at the first place. It might increase your body pain instead of decreasing if you continue turning up its heat.
Another thing is that do not turn up the high temperature from the very beginning of your action. You should increase it slowly as your body will try to adapt to its temperature which will provide you extra comfort and pleasure.
3. Do not fall asleep while your heating pad is on
Most of the time people get asleep with their heating pad on. Since microwavable heat pad cools off gradually, you can use it without having a fear of burn yourself. But for other types of pad, you should not fall asleep especially when it is on high-temperature mode.
Nowadays you can find many cool heating pads with auto shut-off technology but still, we do not recommend to fall asleep during that time for your highest safety.
You can use this item anytime while watching tv’s or your favorite movies, study time or even your relaxation time, no problem at all.
4. Carefully inspect every time before using your heating pad
Another rule you should carefully examine the heating pad before each time of using. You probably unintentionally made a hole in previous time which could burn your body and skin very easily when you turn it on.
You should be careful during the cleanup time as well. If you keep it in store for a longer period, always cover it up and keep it away from small children.
These are the best rules for using a heating pad and some other rules you should follow as well for your highest safety and comfort:
5. While using a heating pad, always try to place a towel or light cloth between your skin and the heating pad which helps to reduce the burning risk.
6. Do not use any water in the most heating pad or don’t take it near water. There are some good heating pads are available on the market which draws moisture from the air and releases it into the skin for deeply penetrated heat therapy.
7. Unplug the heating pad in case if you are not using it. You should keep it away from small children.
8. It’s better to place it on top of the body, not underneath of. When you put a heating pad underneath of your body parts, it increases the heat which may burn your skin.
9. If you use any topical rubs or ointments, we strongly recommend using it after applying heat therapy session on your body.
10. Never ever use it on any infant, it is strongly prohibited for it.
11. Do no use heat pack if you don’t have much feeling in a particular or numbing area, which might end up burning your body skin without your realization.
12. It’s a better idea to read all the instructions before using it. You will always find it on outside package of that product or in a manual book inside of it.
13. Do not sit on or against a heating pad.
14. Always try to start with the lowest temperature and turn up the heat slowly if you require. Your body will try to adapt the heat along with the temperature without making it damage.
You should take some extra precautions as well if you have those health conditions as well, otherwise, it may create an adverse effect on your body, burns and other complications due to heat therapy. These conditions are:
Deep vein thrombosis
You should consult with the doctor before using any heat therapy if you have those problems for better treatment and result.
Sometimes people ask a question regarding pain that which therapy they should choose between ice or heat for back pain? If you have acute pain which is less than 3 days old, it’s better to use ice instead of heat but in the case of chronic pain, you should consider applying heat therapy.
For getting a good result, you can apply both one after another by taking some interval between them, no problem.
Some people make their own homemade heat therapy pad. It might get them instant relief from pain for short period of time. But for best result and perfect treatment, it’s better to use a heating pad which definitely gives you extra comfort, pleasure, safety and get you relief from your body pain once and for all, guaranteed.