Ice and heat therapy both are good for getting relief from any kind of immediate injuries. Ice is generally good for acute pain which is less than 3 days old whereas heat can provide you a better treatment if you have chronic pain. It helps to increase the blood flow surrounding your painful and affected area.
Most people like moist heat rather than dry heat therapy for its good deep penetrated capability and it also gives them extra comfort as well as pleasure during their heat treatment session. Moist heating pad calms the nerves and makes you feel relaxed on the sore muscle.
It’s always a better idea to buy the best heating pad if you need heat therapy for a long period of time. But in the case of low pain and a short period of healing you can easily make it with very minimal items found at your house.
How to make a hot pack easily:
1. Use towel, long sock or cloth:
You can just use a normal home towel to make your moist heat pad easily. In case you need more hot and long time of heating you can use a sock or a thick cloth filling inside with rice, flax seed or even oatmeal.
You need to secure the filling by using thread and needle because the knot might come undone which could make you discomfort and create problems.
2. Use water:
You should dampen the towel, sock or cloth with normal water and it’s better to use hot water to make it quicker and more effective. In the case of sock and cloth, you can do it before filling. Now it’s time to wring out the excess water from these.
Keep in mind that you should not squeeze all water out from that cloth due to make it less from that cloth due to make it less moisture, it’s my personal recommendation.
Now it’s time to microwave the dampened cloth on a high temperature for about 2-2.30 minutes for getting the best result. Do not make it too hot, otherwise, you can make your skin worse and possibly make an adverse effect on your body.
4. The last steps:
Now you can use this ‘moist heating pad’ on you body part for getting relief from any physical pain. But you should cover up your moist towel with another thin and dry towel to protect your skin from burning or overheating.
It’s a better idea to cover up your body part with another towel before using this heat therapy for getting the maximum result with highest safety and comfort.
You can do it until cool off the clothes or about 15-20 minutes at a time. Do not overuse it and take a one hour rest before you do it again. It’s my utmost request not using this for more than 3-4 times in a single day.
Some points and interesting facts you should know regarding moist or dry heating pack:
* Generally you do not need an extra cost to make a moist heat pack as everyone has several towels at their home.
* Moist heat therapy is better than dry heat therapy. It goes deeper into the muscle and gets you relief from that pain which is more effective than dry heat.
* In case if you are using a market heating pad, you should know some safety tips for your better treatment and comfort.
* Dry heat can make your skin itchy which leads to a discomfort feel after use.
* You can also use some fragrant oil too if you would like to get aromatherapy. It works better for sock and sews clothes with filling materials.
* In the case of making cold packs, you can do it by freezing it on a refrigerator. The process it almost same but you should insert your clothes onto a plastic bag before placing it inside the freezer.
This process takes pretty long time than making it hotter. You can do it with ice for immediate pain relief, but it’s not safe to use it directly on the body skin.
* You wouldn’t get burned yourself like an electric heating pad burns due to its slowly cooling off nature.
Moist heat therapy is always better rather than dry one which you can make at your home very easily. It’s good for short period of healing and if you need for getting relief from any chronic pain, you should consider buying a heating pad with moist heat option which definitely provide you extra comfort and pleasure, I must say.
Most of the well-known and reputed heating pad products are also very convenient for daily use.